Monday, January 7, 2013

New Challenges

This year has brought us a few new challenges, especially in this pregnancy.  I was very fortunate to not have any medical complications with Matthew, but it seems that will not be the case with this little one.  In mid December I had a uterine prolapse (my uterise was falling outside of my body)  I was home alone with Matthew and had been feeling a lot of pelvic pressure for a week or two, but just thinking it was a part of this pregnancy, I didn't worry about it.  I got really worried when I saw my uterise coming out and panicked.  I called Rob and told him what was happening.  Fortunately Rob had learned about prolapses only a few weeks before and had told me about them.  I knew if I wasn't bleeding, then there was not immediate danger to our baby.  Rob came home, gave me a blessing, and off we went to the ER.  After 4 hours I was released from the hospital.  The prolapse had caused some other problems and I now had to wear a catheter bag.  I was put on bed rest for several weeks.  The hope was that if I stayed lying down, that my uterise would grow upwards into my abdominal cavity.  I had to be tipped slightly upside down in order to get it back inside of me, and then have packing put in place to keep things inside.
This challenge could not have come at a better time.  Rob was finishing up his last week of school before Christmas break, and so he was able to help take care of Matthew for most of the time.  We also had a lot of help from ward members who would watch Matthew in the afternoons for me.  We  are so blessed to have the gospel of Jesus Christ that teaches us how to endure through trials and to just trust in the Lord. 
Bed rest has been a major challenge for me.  I can't stand to be stuck in bed for so long, but I know that my baby's life is dependant on how well I follow instructions for my health.  I have never had a prolonged health issue that has interfered with my daily lifestyle until now.  I have a lot more compassion and sympathy for people with cronic illnesses and health problems.  It is amazing how much you appreciate good health when it has been taken away from you.  Another lesson I have had to learn is to just let people help me.  I have never been in a position where I really needed other people to help me with basic tasks.  I never needed meals or babysitting daily.  It has been humbling to ask and accept this kind of help.  I am usually quite independant and prefer to take care of myself.  This experience has shown me that I can't do everything I need to, and I must rely on the goodness and love of others.  I have such a great appreciation for all those who have reached out to my family and served us.  It is amazing to see the gospel in action and to feel such love for people who hardly know you.
Now in the first week of January I am still on bed rest and wearing the catheter, but hopefully things will improve enough that I will be able to get around more.  I know that Heavenly Father is by my side through this trial and I trust that things will turn out according to His plan and His time.  We will still be dealing with issues regarding the prolapse even after our baby is born.  We will find out more this summer, but it is possible that this will be an ongoing problem with any future pregnancies.  I feel like my life has been very easy and the Lord is making sure that I have to work hard to get my children here.  They are worth the sacrifices and I am grateful that we are going to be blessed with another little baby.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are so positive. I am sure you have your days or times though. We are still praying for you.

    ReplyDelete