Wednesday, March 2, 2016

A New Adventure Begins

We have finally found out where Rob will be completing his residency!  He has matched to General Surgery in Far Rockaway, New York.  We will be living there for 5 years while he completes his residency training.  I am not going to lie, I was more than a bit bummed when we found out.  I was proud of Rob for getting into the career field of his choice, but I really didn't want to live so far from family and in New York of all places.  Far Rockaway is in Queens, NY and very close to Manhattan.  I am not a city girl in the least so this will be a huge change for me. I prefer the open fields and the beautiful mountains right outside my window!
Now that I have had a few weeks to wrap my head around the fact that we are really going to live outside of NYC, I am finding the positive things.  There are going to be 4 LDS resident families there with us so that will be a HUGE support.  I am really looking forward to the friendships we will create and I know that there will be good things to come.  I haven't lived in a decent sized city or suburbs for nearly 15 years so I might be a bit culture shocked.  I am looking forward to the history of the east and just living somewhere new.  I know there are going to be plenty of things to keep us busy.
I am very nervous to drive in NYC and terrified of using the public transportation.  With my medical problems, I am in serious pain for hours if someone bumps me near my incisions.  I can't fathom how I will get through public transit without being bumped.  The only way to feel better is to lie down and I know that is not going to be an option in NY.  I will just have to take things one day at a time and hope for the best!
We will be leaving at the end of May so we still have a few months left to enjoy the beautiful mountains and the outdoors.  I have loved living so close to the mountains.  I an look out my windows and see mountains all around me.  These past two years have flown by and they have been wonderful for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment