Well it seems as though we have finally figured out the cause of all of my problems. I have something called Tethered Cord Syndrome. Your spinal cord is supposed to move freely within your spinal canal. When you bend, stretch, exercise, or move, your cord moves with you. Since I have a tethered cord, mine does not. It is attached to my canal. This means that moving or stretching my back pulls on the spinal cord, creating swelling, scar tissue and pressure. Due to this pressure and scar tissue, the nerves from the waist down sustain damage. I also have a fatty lipoma in the spine that is about 1 1/2 inches long. All my bladder issues stem from nerve damage. (Since I delivered my second son, my bladder has ceased to function at all. I have had numerous and almost continuous infections as well. My uterus prolapsed (fell out) during the first trimester of pregnancy because of nerve damage to the bladder causing me to strain.) There are a few unexplained things that have happened to me throughout my life and may stem from this issue. The only cure for this condition is surgery to dethether the cord in hopes that the scar tissue from the surgery will be less than the continual damage of daily life. Doing nothing for this condition will only make things get progressively worse. Nerve damage will continue.
At this point, I am just trying to take things day by day. We are still unsure of all of the implications of this condition. I will be meeting with a neurologist this week, and a neurosurgeon in a few weeks. From our current understanding, we are thinking of doing surgery. There are a few risks with the surgery, but it seems like they are less likely than the guaranteed damage from doing nothing. Surgery is not meant to fix any of my problems, but intended to only prevent further damage. Nerve damage is generally permanent, but there is a chance that I can regain some functionality. It will largely depend on how extensive the damage is and how well I recover. Time is of the essence in this situation so the longer I go without intervention, the less likely it will be that I can recover.
When I first found out about this, it was hard. I have always had a fear of spinal damage and those words seemed devastating. I have calmed down a bit and can now deal with the problem a little more rationally. Rob is the type that doesn't worry about things that he cannot change or control. He isn't worrying all the time, which is really helpful for me. It is great to have a stable and calm influence in my life. Rob and I feel blessed that we have been able to find the answer to my problems. We both know that it is still going to be a long road to recovery, but it is possible. At first when I found out about this, I was very worried, but now I feel hope. I know that my Father in Heaven has a plan for me and that it will all be okay in the end. The road will be tough, but with faith, all things are possible. I have felt the hand of the Lord in my life through this ordeal, and I know that He is aware of me, and sustaining me. A sure way to feel better on a hard day is to remember the tender mercies that I have been given. Sure enough I will feel blessed! It is amazing how fast our perspective can change. Before, my worst thought was that I would never have function of my bladder again, Now I know that paralysis is a lot worse, and my bladder issues seem more of a nuisance.
Rob and I are both so grateful for all the prayers on our behalf. We have felt so blessed by your faith. We are grateful for a loving Father who knows our hearts and is watching over us!
I am so glad you have such a positive out look for all this. We are praying for you and hope for the best.
ReplyDeleteHeather has a tether. We better get her better by a sever of the tether. We don't know whether the sever of the tether will make her better, but if we don't get her better she may never have her bad bladder better. I gather we'd rather weather not knowing if a severed tether will make her all better than something sadder than her bad bladder.
ReplyDelete