Saturday, April 4, 2015

Updates and Hopes

    It has been almost a year since moving to Utah!  I can't believe that Rob is almost done with his third year of medical school.  He will be graduating in June of 2016.  After all that we have gone through since school started, we are looking forward to graduation.  School was harder than we expected, but not in any way we could have predicted.
Rob all scrubbed in for surgery
Matthew practicing being a doctor just like Daddy

   Since moving to Utah we have spent a lot more time with extended family.  I have been blessed to spend time with my sweet grandmother before she passed away in March.  I didn't know if I would get to see her again once we moved out to Missouri for school, but we got to see her a few times.  As sad as it can be to lose a beloved family member, I know that she lived a wonderful and good life.  She was an inspiration to her entire family, and her legacy of hard work, a love for the gospel, and a positive attitude will always be remembered. It is always fun to reconnect with all the family as we gather to celebrate my grandmother's life.  I am reminded of how many blessings are in my life!

Jeffrey at the graveside
My Dad, Jeffrey and I at the grave

 My health changed our entire future.  As part of the difficulties we have gone through, we have decided to adopt!  We are very excited for this and feel that our family is not yet complete.  I can no longer have children, but we feel that an adopted child can be just as much a part of our family as our two boys.  This is a new world for us and we are excited to see what happens.  We trust in the Lord and in His timing.  If we have learned anything through our trials, it is that He is always in control and that His timing is perfect.  Time after time we were reminded of this as emergencies, surgeries, or other important events always happened on Rob's vacations, or when he could easily take time off to help out with the family.  I know that bringing in another child will change our lives again, but we deeply desire to have more children.
   We are so thankful for all the friends and family that have supported us through our journey of medical school, surgery, and all that changes that have come in the past few years.  We have been so greatly blessed to have such a great support group!
  Our boys are excited to have another sibling.  I was talking to Matthew about us adopting another child,  We told him that certain steps had to be taken before we could adopt.  We went to the doctor's office for our physicals.  Matthew was with Rob and came into the exam room after me.  As soon as he got in the office he went to the doctor and asked him where our baby was.  He told the doctor he was supposed to bring him a little sister.  I hadn't realized that he thought we were going to pick up a child.  He is so excited to be a big brother again some day.
   As I contemplate how happy it would make our family to adopt, I realize that there is so much pain and heartache for those who place their children.  I can't even imagine how it must feel to be on the other side of this equation.  All I can say is that I appreciate those who make these great sacrifices. We feel so blessed to have a family and have been taught good family values.  We know that we have been blessed with such wonderful lives, that we desire to share that with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment